Friday, January 14, 2011

Homeschool Update

 This photo has nothing to do with the post, but I just feel like posting it anyway. Tennessee wildflowers that we picked when we lived there. 

 Taken in Iowa when I took her out for a little mother/daughter time. I need to do that again...


Some of you may be wondering how or if Jessica is still learning anything at home. Sometimes I ask myself that, and I almost panic, thinking, what if I am missing something important or she is far behind other children her age? As little time each day as she spends in her books, (except in her story books!) I sometimes think, shouldn't she be doing more??? She has completed Gr. 2 Math and Reading, and was only left with Language Arts and an Animal Book to finish. I know it will not be enough to keep her busy till the end of the schoolyear, and she has to keep busy somehow, so yesterday I went to a bookstore in the city. And whew! I was surprised and happy to find such a collection of different books; for Belize, that is... I found a few Spectrum books, which I have found work really well for her, so I bought her two books, Math and Phonics. My sister had a science book that she let us use. Here is the exciting thing; I realized buying more grade 2 stuff is useless for her. I bought her Gr. 3 books. So, for a mere $20 spent on books and a little fun shopping trip, our girlie is entering Gr 3 today. I can't help but feel a little giddy about it. She is growing up so fast! Besides doing those few study books, she spends much time reading Little House books, and other good children's books. I feel that alone is very educational for her, plus piano class once weekly and practice daily.



1 comment:

The Louden Clan said...

It's easy to worry about where our children would "place" among other children....but I think they have so many advantages that come with homeschooling that make it all worthwhile!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...