Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Family Treasures

After my Grandfather passed away a while ago, the aunts, uncles and Grandmother did some housecleaning, and I made sure I would not miss the event. I always want to see what goes into the 'junk' box, and did I have fun rummaging through it...
old cards...
A 1968 Rand McNally road atlas. I have searched google a few times, and can not find any book like it online. I am not sure why that is. I will just pretend that means they are rare, and it is extremely valuable... :)
 
The best find, two old plates. One is ceramic, the other enamelware. Both are cracked.

An old yeast container; I remember my mother using yeast from tins like these. It was not instant yeast, but the kind that had to soak a while before you could use it.

This reader is one my mom picked out for me. She knows I like old stuff...thanks Mom. Jessica loves reading it. Does anyone of my relative readers know, (and is brave enough to comment ;) was this Grandfather's reader when he went to school? I would love to know!
It is a canadian reader filled with lots of good old-fashioned stories and pictures.
An old book that has lovingly received a fabric cover.

And oh, the old letters and envelopes and books that any vintage collector can use!

This one is amazing. I got several short papers, school papers I believe, with the most beautiful hand writing I have ever seen. They must have really focused on neatness back then. Isn't that written with a fountain pen?
This must be how they learned. I also found this penmanship notebook. Not only were the students learning penmanship, but at the same time facts as they copied the sentences over and over...
The book has some blank pages in the end. Maybe I should get out a pen, and try my hand at it; see if I am better now than when I was in school...I was terrible.

...what's important is the memories of my Grandfather that I took with me out of that box...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Such beautiful precious treasures! I just love rummaging through old things finding such lovely yet simple blessings- thanks for sharing.

Debz said...

This really neat! Makes me what to go and see where my grandma's stuff all went to. =)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...