Thursday, June 11, 2009

Canning beans, doing math

Canning beans and doing math?... Last time when I wanted to can beans I wanted to teach my daughter how to do it, but then I went one step further and decided to teach her some math while we were at it, to make it more exciting, or, because I am so lazy, kill two birds with one stone... So I got out a marker, and marked the jars with fractions.

It took me a pretty long time to learn fractions in school . I didn't learn it this practically. Jessica picked it up very fast doing it this way; it's amazing what a little real life practice can achieve versus boring numbers on paper.



In the end she had also learned that 2/4 is the same as 1/2. I think that concludes our math lesson for today. And we didn't even have to drag out those math books. Well, I didn't really have to anyway, cause she's only six...

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...