Sunday, March 6, 2011

Singing the praises of buttermilk...

When Daniel went to the US last week, I ordered buttermilk powder. Yes, you heard me right. Why?

When I first came back to Belize, I went hunting for buttermilk. In store after store I was met with blank looks when I asked for buttermilk. I eventually stopped looking. Sorry to say, Belizeans just don't know what they're missing, and how good food made with buttermilk tastes. I mean the cultured kind, not the kind that's left over from making butter. Anyway, I had to wait all this time for someone to go to the US so I could order some buttermilk powder, and now I finally got it!

Now that I have the powder, I believe I can get a starter, and keep making it myself. (Perhaps there is a business opportunity here for me as well...I am dreaming about it; if I can convince people that food tastes better made with buttermilk) 

I am convinced I don't have time to make every one of these recipes just to take photos of to show you, but here are some great recipes for buttermilk foods.

Ever heard of scrumptious buttermilk pancakes? If you have been to Cracker Barrel, you probably have...

How about a decadent chocolate cake


How about fluffy buttermilk biscuits! A real southern treat for breakfast, and when I miss Tennessee, I sometimes make biscuits and sausage gravy, a must try if you haven't yet...

Hushpuppies. I guess most people have no idea what that is, but they do taste great! Not a regular treat, but now and then I make some.

Fried Okra. Ahhh, now that is a treat, and they go fast at our house. It might not sound appealing, but you simply have to try them to believe they taste good. They absolutely do.

Buttermilk Cornbread. The best cornbread there is.

There you have some new recipes to try! One thing I learned while living in TN is that a good cook is not without buttermilk. During this time when I have not had it on hand, I have used yogurt and kefir as substitutes, and they work all right, but it's not QUITE the same.  

I am so glad to have my buttermilk back.




No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...